Saturday, August 25, 2007

Child Rights

Everyday when I go to office, I see children, clothed or otherwise, at the many "signals" of Mumbai.

All of them belong to destitute families, and you cannot look at them without a strong subliminal feeling of guilt overcoming you.

I think about my own son and thank God that he has a better life.

Then I realise that in India there are no real child rights. If there were child rights then we would have questioned whether any family can decide to have children? That shoule be based on the family's capabilities to bring them up well. This sounds like a "spartan" idea - but then why bring children into this world if they cannot be given a minimum standard of living?

Why have these unfortunate children begging at signals? Why bring them into the world in the first place?

Think about it!

No comments: